|David's getting flabby (New Headway)|
|click image to open video page|
David is getting a bit flabby, so he decides to do something about it and goes for a 5-day free trial at the local gym. Will he manage all right?
We all like our food in this house, but I think David likes it a bit more than the rest of us.
- If nobody else wants this, I'll have it.
- David, honestly! Where do you put it?
- You're such a pig.
- If you're not careful, you'll put on weight.
- He's already flabby.
- No, I'm not.
- Apparently, Simon used to be quite fat.
- I'm not flabby.
- But he keeps very fit now. He goes to the gym four times a week.
- Gyms are so boring. I play tennis. At least that's competitive.
- You used to play tennis.
- I don't have the time now. Anyway, Julia thinks I look good.
- Yes, but will Julia still think that when you're like a balloon?
- Ha, ha, ha.
A hundred and fifty pounds a month and five hundred pounds to join? Actually, it's not really what I'm looking for. Thank you. Bye.
Oh, hello. I'm interested in joining your health club. Could you tell me how much it is, please?
- You're what?
- I'm going to have a work-out this evening.
- At the new fitness club.
- Isn't that expensive?
- It is ... but they offer a five-day free trial period.
- Oh David, you're terrible.
- What's terrible about that? Anyway, I'm starting this evening, so I'II meet you as soon as I get out.
- What time will that be?
- I don't know yet. I might do a long session. But I'II give you a call you when I finish. And then we're going for a drink.
- OK. Over here we have the weight machines and free weights. Now, you use these to build up your muscles and to increase strength. Over here we have the rowing machines, the exercise bikes and the treadmills. Now, these are good for CV exercise.
- CV exercise?
- Cardio-vascular. Aerobics. You use them to increase your stamina, to give you more energy.
- Now I want you to do ten minutes on each machine. Do you think you can manage to do that?
- Yes, I think so.
- OK, then, let's start.
- Are you all right?
- Yes, I'm fine. I'm just a bit tired.
- It can be tiring the first time.
- This isn't the first time. I used to do a lot of exercise.
- I bet that was a long time ago. Right. The weights.
- Keep the change.
- Thank you.
- Oh, hi.
- Oh, hi David.
- What is it?
- The taxi! Why did you let it go?
- But don't you want to walk into town?
- It's much better exercise. Come on!
So that was the end of David's five-day ... or should I say one-day membership of the health club. He never went there again.